A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
OGWELL (EAST), a parish, forming, with the parish of West Ogwell, a distinct portion of the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Newton-Abbots, containing 295 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £19. 3. 9., and in the patronage of P. J. Taylor, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Richard Reynell, in 1735, gave certain land, the income arising from which, about £10 a year, is applied in teaching twenty-eight children. Here are two almshouses, founded by Lady Lucy Reynell.