From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
PUTFORD, (EAST) a small village in the Torridge valley, 8½ miles W.S.W. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 197 souls, and 3230 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and partly to John Dayman, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders. The Church is considered a chapel to Buckland Brewer, its curacy having been long consolidated with the vicarage of that parish. The principal residents are John and Wm. Fry, Wm. Furse, and Wm. May, farmers; and George Beer, blacksmith.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999