"ERMINGTON . . . is a small village upon a bold eminence on the west side of the river Erme, encompassed by high hills, 10 mile E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles N.W. of Modbury. Its parish contains 1607 souls, and 4952 acres of land, including many scattered farm-houses, &c., and a large portion of the village of Ivybridge, . . . In 1623, a meteoric stone, weighing 23lbs., fell with a great noise from the atmosphere, at Strachleigh in this parish, and buried itself a yard deep in the ground. . . . Lady Elizabeth Bulteel is lady of the manor and hundred of Ermington, which was anciently a demesne of the Crown, and afterwards held by the Peverell, Fitzstephen, Bensted, Stoner, Rouse, and other families. The manor of Ivybridge belongs to Sir F.L. Rogers, Bart., and was held by the De Ponte Hederae, or Ivybridge family, from whom it passed to the Bonvilles and Crokers. E.R.P. Bulteel, Esq., the Rev. S.W. Pearse, W. Pode, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. . . . The Church (St. Peter,) is a large ancient fabric, with a lofty embattled tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a crooked spire, which leans considerably to one side. . . .." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Ermington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Peskett: Ivybridge was an ancient village, with a chapel of ease dependent on Cornwood, it was later created as a modern parish incorporating parts of Cornwood, Ermington, Harford and Ugborough.