A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
ERMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of ERMINGTON, county of DEVON, 3 miles (N. W.) from Modbury, containing 1370 inhabitants. The living comprises a vicarage and a mediety rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter: the vicarage is rated in the king's books at £33. 11. 3., and the rectory at £24. The patronage is vested in the Crown and the Rev. W. Cholwich alternately. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. A market was formerly held here; two small cattle fairs are now held on February 2d and June 23d. In 1513, an almshouse and a charity school were endowed with lands by Alice Hatch.