"EXBOURNE, a pleasant village and parish, on the east side of the picturesque valley of the river Okement, 5 miles E.S.E. of Hatherleigh, has 593 inhabitants, and 2280A. of land. Here is a cattle fair on the 3rd Monday in April. The assignees of Joseph Risdon, Esq., are lords of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to John Tattershall, S. and R. Westlake, and other freeholders. The Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and five bells, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £27. 11s. 8d., and in 1831 at £299, is in the gift of John Hudson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Brailsford, L.L.B., who has a good residence, built nine years ago. The tithes have been commuted for £275 per annum. The School was built in 1839. The poor have the interest of £18, left by several donors.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
A., M. Sir Roper Lethbridge, K.C.I.E., D.L., J.P., M.A. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 10:6, (1919) pp.193-195, plates: port. [Indian civil servant, local historian, prominent in many Westcountry organizations, 1840-1919]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Exbourne - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Baigent, F.J. Stock-box in Exbourne church. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 2:1, (1902) pp.16-17, plates: ill.
Lethbridge, Roper. The deed of foundation of the Church House, Exbourne. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 1:5, (1900) pp.145-149. [Latin with English translation.] [Index]
Oldham, D'Oyly W. Ecclesiastical and Antiquarian Notes on Church of St Mary, Exbourne, Devon. Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society Transactions 3rd series, 2 (1901) pp.61-67.
Parish Registers going back to 1755 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1874 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Lethbridge, R. The Deed of Foundation of the Church House, Exbourne. Devon Notes and Queries 1 (1900-03) p.145.
The Deanery of Okehampton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashbury, Beaworthy, Belstone, Bratton Clovelly, Broadwoodkelly, Exbourne, Germansweek, Hatherleigh, Highampton, Honeychurch, Inwardleigh, Jacobstowe,Monkokehampton, Northlew, Okehampton and Sampford Courtenay. Photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2011). [Ashbury Mar: 1755-1810; Beaworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1758-1837, Bur: 1760-1837; Belstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1837; Bratton Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadwoodkelly Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1838; Exbourne Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Germansweek Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Hatherleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Highampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Honeychurch Bapt: 1813-1842, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1842; Inwardleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1790-1837; Jacobstowe Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkokehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Northlew Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Independent Chapel Bur: 1829-1837; Sampford Courtenay Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Exbourne from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Exbourne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Exbourne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lethbridge, Sir R. Notes on the Manor and Parish of Exbourne. Exeter: J.Southwood (1901) 19p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/EXB/0001/LET]
Powell, J.R. Antiquarian notes on Exbourne parish, North Devon. Manuscript [1875?] 2 vols. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/EXB/0001/POW]
Thornley, Irene. Aspects of nineteenth century Exbourne. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 110, (1978) pp.173-198.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Exbourne, Devon. Typescript (1962) 10 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS602019 (Lat/Lon: 50.79975, -3.985178), Exbourne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Lethbridge, Roper. Sir. Tithe commutation in Exbourne in the seventeenth century. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 44, (1912) pp.394-405. [Index]