"Allhallows-on-the-Walls is a handsome structure of perpendicular architecture, which was finished and consecrated in Sept. 1845, except the tower, which was not commenced till 1849, when the south window of the chancel was enriched with stained glass, in memory of the late Mr. and Mrs. Cornish. The roof is open, and supported by circular ribs; and the east window is of beautiful stained glass, representing the four Evangelists, &c. The communion plate was presented by Canon Rogers, and the altar-cloth was the gift of the Hon. Mrs. Ford. The total cost of the building was about £3500, and at the time of its erection the parish had been about a century without a church, the ruins of the old one, which stood in Fore street, being cleared away about 1777, when the present Exe Bridge, was built. The new church stands in Old Bartholomew Burial Ground, which was opened on St. Bartholomew's day, 1637, and was the principal place, of interment for the city till the opening of the New Cemetery, on the other side of the city wall, in 1837. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 4s. 9½d., and in 1831 at only £19, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter, and incumbency of the Rev. S.U.B. Lee, M.A. The tower is not yet completed." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in the West corner of the old walled City of Exeter. Its population in 1801 was 669.