"St. Edmund's Church, in Edmund street, on the western side of the city, was rebuilt in 1834, at the cost of £2000. It is a plain cemented structure, with a tower containing a fine peal of eight bells. It has a handsome stone altar screen, given by Lord Rolle. When the old bridge over the Exe was standing near it, the ancient church was commonly called St. Edmund on the Bridge; and in some deeds it is styled the Chantry on the Bridge. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £196, was formerly in the gift of the Corporation, but G. Hyde, Esq., is now patron, and the Rev. Owen Owen, M.A, incumbent." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Situated to the South West of the old walled City of Exeter, its population in 1801 was 918.