"ST. THOMAS THE APOSTLE'S is an extensive parish on the western side of the river Exe, connected with Exeter by Exe Bridge, and containing about 3700 acres of land, 4301 inhabitants; the populous suburbs of Cowick street, Okehampton street, Alphington street, &c.; the hamlets of Exwick and Oldridge, about a mile N.N.W. of the city; many scattered houses; and several mills. It is crossed by the South Devon Railway, which has a small station near Cowick street. . . . S.W. Buller, Esq., is lord of the manors of Cowick and Hayes, and also of Exwick and Barley; Sir J.S.G. Sawle, Bart., owns the manor of Bowhill; and Thomas Northmore, Esq., owns Cleave, which has a pleasant mansion commanding a fine view over Exeter. Franklands belongs to the Jones family, and Oldridge to the Yardley and other families. Floyer Hayes, was the seat of the ancient family of Floyer from the time of the Conquest till last century. . . . The populous parts of the parish of St. Thomas are included in the Parliamentary limits of the city of Exeter. The parish CHURCH, in Cowick street, is a large ancient structure, which was enlarged in 1828, and has a tower and six bells. . . . J.W. Buller, Esq., is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and also patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11. 2s. 8½d., and in 1831 at £237, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Hy. Howard, M.A., who has a good parsonage house, and is also incumbent of Exwick and Oldridge Chapels. . . . Exwick is a considerable village on the banks of the Exe, 1 mile N.N.W. of Exeter, and has a woollen manufactory, a large corn mill, and a paper mill." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Sometimes known as St Thomas (the Apostle) by Exeter, this parish was not part of the City and County of Exeter prior to 1900; it is often (incorrectly) referred to as Exeter St Thomas. Exwick (1872) and Emmanuel (1910) are modern parishes here.