Exeter, St Thomas the Apostle (and Cowick)
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
THOMAS (ST.) the APOSTLE, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, ½ a mile (S. by W.) from Exeter, containing, with the chapelry of Oldridge, 3245 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11.2. 8½.,and in the patronage of James Buller, Esq. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Exe, from which the Exeter canal passes to the southward. Twenty-four children are educated for an annuity of £10, bequeathed by William Gould, and four for £1. 10. a year, the gift of Robert Pate. A small priory of Black canons, a cell to that of Plympton, founded in the time of Henry III., in honour of the Blessed Virgin, stood partly in this parish, and partly in that of Alphington.
COWICK, a chapelry in the parish of ST THOMAS the APOSTLE EXETER, hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 1 mile (S. W. by S.) from Exeter. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel is dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket. A Benedictine monastery, a cell to the abbey of Bee in Normandy, was established here by William, son of Balwine, in the time of Henry II., but there are not any remains of it.