Extra-Parochial places for Devonshire
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CHELSEA MEADOW, an extra-parochial place in the parish of Plympton St. Mary, in the county of Devon, 4 miles E. of Plymouth."
"DRAKE'S, (or St. Nicholas, Island), an extra parochial island in Plymouth Sound, in the county of Devon. It is situated under Mount Edgecumbe, and off Redding's Point. There is a dangerous passage between, called the Devil's Bridge.
"DUTTON, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of East Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 6 miles E. of Topsham."
"EXMOOR FOREST, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Williton, county Devon, 12 miles N.W. of Dulverton. It is situated on the borders of Somerset, near Dunkerry Beacon, which rises to the height of nearly 1,800 feet. The rivers Exe and Barle pass through it. It was until recently of much greater extent, including Exmoor, which is now brought under cultivation and formed into a distinct parish. There are some traces of entrenchments and burial-places still to be seen. Red deer are to be met with, and sheep and a hardy race of horses are reared."
"HIGHLEY ST. MARY, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon." [See Highley St Mary]
"HIGHTLEIGH, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Bampton. It is situated on the river Exe."
"LARIA, (or Laira Green), an extra parochial place in the parish of Egg-Buckland, county Devon, 2 miles from Plymouth. It is situated on the South Devon railway, at the bridge over the Catwater.
"ROOSDOWN, (or Rousdon St. Pancras), an extra parochial liberty, though locally in the parish of Axminster, county Devon, 4 miles S. of Axminster, and 3 S.W. of Lyme-Regis. It is situated on the English Channel, and was formerly a separate parish. Its ancient name was Ralphdown, so called from its owner, Ralph de Down, in the reign of Henry II. There is no village, and only one house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £35. The church has long been in ruins. [See Rousdon]
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]