"FARINGDON, or FARRINGDON, a small scattered village, 6 miles E. by S. of Exeter, has in its parish 1977A. 3R. 9P. of land, and 381 inhabitants, of whom 71 are in Clist Sackville, or Sackville tything, which is mostly in Sowton parish . . . . The manors of Faringdon and Bishop's Clist, now belong to John Garratt, Esq., of Bishop's Court; but W. Cannop, Esq., occupies Faringdon House, a large cemented building with a handsome front, standing in a small park, . . . The parish is bounded on the east by the hills which separate it from the Otter valley. The Rev. Wm. Rous Ellicombe,, General Ellicombe, J. Lee, Esq., and several smaller owners have freehold estates here. . . . . The Church has a tower and one bell, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 8s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £262. The Bishop of Exeter is patron, and the Rev. C.H. Collyns, D.D., is the incumbent, and has a handsome residence and about 60 acres of glebe. . . . There was a chapel near Bishop's Court, dedicated to St. Gabriel, founded by Bishop Bronscombe, and to which Bishop Stapledon annexed a hospital for twelve poor infirm clergymen, . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
Barne, Emily. Henry Barne: a memoir by his widow, London, John Kensit (1887) xvii, 473 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library s920/BAR]
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Farringdon Church: monumental inscriptions. Typescript, compiled for the Devon Family History Society (1990) 9p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.5/FAR/FAR]
Orme, Nicholas. The clergy of Clyst Gabriel, Devon, 1312-1508. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 126, (1994) pp.107-121: tables. [1312-1508]
Parish Registers going back to 1678 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1678 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1610-1812, and Marriages 1610-1639, 1679-1788, 1840-1850. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)
The Miscellaneous Series of IHGS Parish Registers, The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, 79-82 Northgate, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1BA.: CD-ROM (n.d.). [The Devon section of contains: Marriages: Berrynarber 1540-1783, Bridgerule 1702-1753, Chardstock 1597-1837, Challacombe 1599-1621 and 1673-1837, Farringdon 1620-1788, Lynton 1591-1837, Pinhoe 1687-1837, Plymouth 1653-1674, Plymstock 1591-1812, Rewe 1686-1836, Witheridge 1646-1837.] [Also LDS Film 90711]
The Deanery of Aylesbeare: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Aylesbeare, Bicton, Branscombe, Broadclyst, Clyst Honiton, Clyst St.George, Clyst St.Mary, Colaton Raleigh, East Budleigh, Farringdon, Harpford, Huxham, Littleham, Lympstone, Otterton, Ottery St. Mary, Pinhoe, Poltimore, Rockbeare, Salcombe Regis, Sidbury, Sidmouth, Sowton, Stoke Canon, Topsham, Venn Ottery, Whimple, Withycombe Raleigh and Woodbury. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2012). [Aylesbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bicton Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1852, Bur: 1725-1845 (BTs); Branscombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1545-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadclyst Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Honiton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. George Bapt: 1813-1837, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; Colaton Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Salem Chapel, Bur: 1832-1837; Farringdon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1852; Glenorchy Independent Exmouth, Bur: 1784-1818; Harpford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1809-1837; Huxham Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1758-1836, Bur: 1813-1864; Littleham (near Exmouth) Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lympstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Otterton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ottery St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Pinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1844, Bur: 1813-1838; Poltimore Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Rockbeare Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Salcombe Regis Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1830, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidmouth Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sowton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Stoke Canon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Topsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Venn Ottery Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whimple Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Withycombe Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Woodbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Bishops Clyst Village Parish Plan and Village Design Statement, from East Devon District Council.
Section on Farringdon (and Clyst Sackville) from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Farringdon to another place.
Halfyard, Robert R. The Halfyard family register. the ancestors and descendants of Richard Halfyard (1744-1815) and Elizabeth Churchill (1752-1828). St. Catherines, Ontario: Halfyard Heritage, 1994. [Raymond: Originally of Farringdon, Devon, but primarily concerned with the United States [actually Canada].]
You can see the administrative areas in which Farringdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Howard Senar, Farringdon with Bishop's Court: a Devon church and parish. Crediton: H. Senar, 1988.
Alcock, N.W. The medieval buildings of Bishop's Clyst, Trans. Devon. Assoc., (1966) pp.132-153. [Westcountry Studies Library: p720/BIS/ALC U]
Alcock, N.W. Bishop's Clyst, An East Devon Manor in the later Middle Ages, Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. 105, (1973) pp.141-190.
Alcock, N.W. The Bishop's Clyst Court Rolls: A Question of Provenance. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 34, 3 (1979) pp.99-101.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SY017912 (Lat/Lon: 50.712093, -3.393643), Farringdon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)