"FARWAY, or Fairway, a village and parish, on a pleasant southern declivity, 3 miles S. of Honiton, and 5 miles E.N.E. of Ottery St. Mary, has 376 souls, and 2578 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Netherton, Sallicombe, and Woodbridge. The Rev. H.W. Marker is lord of the manor of Farway, formerly held by the Pole, Putt, and other families. Sir E.S. Prideaux, Bart., is lord of the manor of Netherton, and resides at Netherton Hall, which was built in the reign of Elizabeth, by Sir Edmund Prideaux, an eminent lawyer, who was created a baronet in 1622. It is a neat, substantial mansion, with pleasant grounds. R.H. Tuckfield, Esq., and the Sweet, Guppy, and other families, have freehold estates in this parish. The Church (St. Michael,) is a small structure, of neat architecture, with a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £265, is in the patronage of the Rev. H.W. Marker, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. H. Marker, M.A. of Gittisham. The glebe is 21A.; and the Rectory House is a good residence, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1847. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Colyton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.