Sir Edmund Saunderson Prideaux, Bart. [Obituary]
Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1875, Vol VII, pp. 58-59.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The Prideaux Baronetcy, of Netherton, was a title in the Baronetage of England. It was created on 17 July 1622 for Edmund Prideaux. The third Baronet sat as Member of Parliament for Liskeard and St Mawes. The fourth Baronet was Member of Parliament for Tregony. The title became extinct on the death of Sir Edmund Saunderson Prideaux the ninth Baronet in 1875. This extract, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers
SIR EDMUND SAUNDERSON PRIDEAUX, Bart, of Netherton Hall, in this county, was the second son of Sir John Wilmot Prideanx, seventh baronet. He was born in the year 1798, and succeeded his brother, Captain Sir John Wilmot, E.I.C.S., the eighth baronet, in 1833. He entered the 53rd Regiment in 1813, rose to the rank of Major in the army in 1831, and retired in 1837. Having been so many years in the profession of arms, he took great interest in the Volunteer movement; indeed he was connected with the origin of that movement. The first attestation of the Volunteers took place at Honiton on the 6th October, 1852. The Queen's acceptance of the services of the first two companies formed is dated December, 1852; and the first entry in the Order Book -January 21st, 1853- reports the appointment of Sir Edmund Saunderson Prideaux as Major-Commandant. Early in 1860 Sir Edmund became Lieut-Colonel, and in February, 1862, was created Hon. Colonel Thus, during the first nine years of the existence of the corps, the deceased baronet performed the duties of commanding officer, and that at a time when the Volunteer movement, though an accomplished fact, was not regarded with much favour by, and received little or no assistance from, the Government But the energy, not less than the urbanity, soldierly bearing, and kindness of heart of the late Colonel, enabled him to overcome all the difficulties of his position, and to leave the immediate command of the battalion to his successor when it was in a fixed and flourishing condition. To the last he took deep interest in the force, and corresponded regularly upon its prospects and condition with some of his old brother officers. He was a deputy-lieutenant and magistrate of the county, and before the infirmities of age rendered him a comparative invalid he took an active share in county business ; in fact, he took interest in all that concerned the honour and welfare of Devon, and performed the various duties of his position with a manly frankness that won for him general esteem. He was a hearty country gentleman, generous to the poor, ready to do a good turn to any one, and no one ever came to Netherton Hall in distress, and was sent empty away. His connection with the Association commenced in 1868, on the occasion of its visit to Honiton. Though he was four times married, he left no issue, and no inheritor to the title. The baronetcy was created in 1622, the first Sir Edmund being an eminent lawyer of the period; and the family was one of the oldest in the West, having been settled in Cornwall before the Conquest He died at Torquay, at a ripe old age on Wednesday, the 10th February, 1875.