A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
FILLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of BRAUNTON, though locally in the hundred of South-Molton, county of DEVON, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from South Molton, containing 307 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £12. 5. 2½., and in the patronage of Earl Fortescue. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was built by Earl Fortescue in 1732. There is a charity school, chiefly supported by the Earl and Countess, in which about fifty children are educated and clothed. Limestone and a hard stone of a blueish tinge, used for building, are obtained in the parish, and perfect nautili have been found here.