"FREMINGTON, a large village, pleasantly seated on an acclivity south of the estuary of the Taw, 3 miles W. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 1326 inhabitants, and 6810 acres of land, including the village of Bickington, and many scattered farm-houses, &c. It was anciently a borough, and sent members to the parliament at Westminster in the reign of Edward III. In 1546, it was considered as part of Instow parish. Merchant vessels trading with Barnstaple usually anchor in the small creek of the Taw estuary, called Fremington Pill, or Pen-hill; and coal vessels discharge cargoes there. . . . Wm. A. Yeo, Esq., (high-sheriff of Devon in 1850,) is now lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the parish. He resides at Fremington House, a large handsome mansion, with extensive gardens, green-houses, hot-houses, &c., containing a valuable collection of exotics. Brynsworthy is the seat S.T.M. Esq., who is lord of the manor of Colybeare. C. Roberts, Esq., of Bickington House, and the Crocker, Quartly, Petherbridge, and other families, have estates here. The Church (St. Peter,) has a tower and five bells, and the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £20. 0s. 5d., and in 1831 at £430, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W.C. Hill, B.A., who has 83A. 3R. 26P. of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1831. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.