"FRITHELSTOCK, a village and parish 2 miles W. of Great Torrington, comprises 705 souls and 2380 acres of land, including the hamlets of Frithelstock Stone, and Milford. There was a small Priory of Austin Canons here, founded by Sir Roger Beauchamp, in the reign of Henry III. ... The estate now belongs to Lord Clinton, but the Rev. P. Thomas is lord of the manor, and Mrs. Stevens, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Mary and St. Gregory,) is an ancient structure, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. P. Johns, and incumbency of the Rev. G.W.T. Carwithen, M.A. Part of the Priory church, with lancet shaped windows, still remains." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Chope, R.P. The Augustinian Priory of Frithelstock; with a description of the ruins and some account of the parish church of St Mary, St Gregory and St Edmund, by C.A. Ralegh Radford. (1928) [Plymouth Library]
Jackson, Sue and Adams, Rod. The Tallamys of Devon, Devon Family Historian, vol. 128, (2008) pp.11-12. [Of various North Devon parishes, particularly Moretonhampstead, and also Frithelstock and Buckland Brewer.]