From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
FRITHELSTOCK, a village and parish 2 miles W. of Great Torrington, comprises 705 souls and 2380 acres of land, including the hamlets of Frithelstock, Stone, and Milford. There was a small Priory of Austin Canons here, founded by Sir Roger Beauchamp, in the reign of Henry III. It was valued at the dissolution at £127. 2s. 4½d. per annum, and was granted to Viscount Lisle. The estate now belongs to Lord Clinton, but the Rev. P. Thomas is lord of the manor, and Mrs. Stevens, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Mary and St. Gregory,) is an ancient structure, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. P. Johns, and incumbency of the Rev. G. W. T. Carwithen, M.A. Part of the Priory church, with lancet shaped windows, still remains. The Poor's Land comprises 8 acres, and a right of common over 200A. of waste. The poor have the interest of £32, and the parish has a yearly rent-charge of 50s. left by Mary Melhuish in 1704, for schooling poor children.
Beer Joseph, shopkeeper
Calwithen Rev George Wm. T., incumbent
Durant John, corn miller
Earl Mr. Green Cottage
Friendship John, wheelwright
Lee James, vict. New Inn
Morris John, blacksmith
Perkin Saml. & Benj., shoemakers
Sandford Geo., vict. Clinton Arms
Short Thomas, tailor
Ball Giles & Jas.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999