[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"FRITHELSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Great Torrington, its post town, and 6 S. of Bideford, the nearest railway station on the South-Western line. It is situated on the W. of the river Torridge, and includes the hamlets of Milford and Stone, with several other small places. A monastery of Austin Friars was founded here by Sir Robert Beauchamp in the reign of Henry III. At the Dissolution its possessions were valued at £127 2s. 4d. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £360. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £118. The church is an ancient stone edifice dedicated to SS. Mary and Gregory. The register dates from the 16th century, and is kept in an old chest. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. The Baptists and Bible Christians have each a chapel. Near the river side are still some remains of the old priory church. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor. Glen Cottage is the principal residence."