A Topographical Dictionary of England


 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

FRITHELSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 2 miles (W.) from Great Torrington, containing 632 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Mrs. Prudence Johns. The church is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Gregory. There is a charity school, with a small endowment given by Mr. and Mrs. Gay. In the reign of Henry III., Sir Robert Beauchamp founded a small house of Augustine canons, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, St. Gregory, and St. Edmund, and valued at the dissolution at £127.2.4. per annum; a small portion of the conventual church is yet remaining.