"NYMPTON ST. GEORGE, or Nymet St. George, commonly called George Nympton, is a pleasant village, in the valley of the river Mole, 2 miles S. by W. of South Molton, and has in its parish 272 souls, and 1684 acres of land. Sir T.D. Acland is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Nymet and Hache families. J.G. Pearse, Esq., has an estate here, and a pleasant seat, called Broom House, formerly belonging to the Hale and Gay families. The Rev. W.P. Thomas, Mrs. Nott, Jas. Tanner, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St George,) is a neat structure, in the perpendicular style, with a brick tower and three bells. It was repaired in 1848." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.