Hide

White's Directory 1850

hide
Hide
                             GEORGE NYMPTON               From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850NYMPTON ST. GEORGE, or Nymet St. George, commonly called George Nympton, is a pleasant village, in the valley of the river Mole, 2 miles S. by W. of South Molton, and has in its parish 272 souls, and 1684 acres of land. Sir T.D. Acland is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Nymet and Hache families. J.G. Pearse, Esq., has an estate here, and a pleasant seat, called Broom House, formerly belonging to the Hale and Gay families. The Rev. W.P. Thomas, Mrs. Nott, Jas. Tanner, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St George,) is a neat structure, in the perpendicular style, with a brick tower and three bells. It was repaired in 1848. The rectory, valued in 1831 at £310, is in the patronage of Sir T.D. Acland, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Fortescue, who resides in Somersetshire. The glebe is 118A., and the Rectory House is a good thatched residence, in the Elizabethan style. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £280 per annum.Baker Thos. vict. Castle InnGould Rev Geo. James, B.A., curate, & incmbt. of Mariansleigh, Rectory Harris Elizabeth, schoolmistressPearse John Gilberd, Esq. solicitor, Broom House, (& South Molton)Ridd John, shopr; & Wm. wheelwgt Westacott Jas. cooper; & Jno. sexton Wootton John, par. clerk & thatcher    BLACKSMITHS.Dockings JamesJarman John   BOOT & SHOE MKS.May Wm.Mills James   BUTCHERS.Bawden Robert Hitchcock John    FARMERS.Baker John Bawden Robert Dunn Samuel Hancock Richd. Huxtable George Kingdon Joseph Ley George Ley James Reed Wm. Russell Wm. Smith John Webber John   TAILORS.Dadds JohnNotts George
 Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999