[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"GEORGEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Braunton, county Devon, 8 miles N.W. of Barnstaple, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Ilfracombe. It is situated on the western coast, its shore being washed by the Bristol Channel. The scenery in this neighbourhood is diversified and of great beauty; Croyde Bay is much resorted to for sea-bathing. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £534. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to St. George, and has monuments of the Chichesters and other families. The charities are of small amount. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a parochial school, partly maintained by endowment. Earl Fortescue is lord of the manor."
"CROYDE BAY, in the parish of Georgeham, and county of Devon, 7 miles N.W. of Barnstaple. It is situated on the S. coast, near Baggy Point."