From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
GOODLEIGH, a small village, nearly 3 miles E. by N. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 335 souls, and 1180 acres of land, including Northleigh hamlet and several scattered houses. The manor belongs to the Misses Incledon, whose family mansion, called Yeotown, is now a farm house, and was new fronted in the Gothic style by the late B. N. Incledon, Esq. This house is in the sequestered woody valley of the small river Yeo. Miss Budd and several other proprietors have estates in this parish, which is celebrated for its cherry orchards. The Church (St. Gregory,) is an ancient Gothic structure, with a short tower, and some stained glass in its windows. Its screen is richly ornamented. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14. 19s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £302, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Harding, M.A., who has a good residence and about 30A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £184. l9s. 2d. per annum. Here is an Independent Chapel, and schools are attached to it and the church. The poor have 26s. a year out of land at Westacott, left by Hugh Acland, in 1620; and the interest of £10 left by Richd. Squire, in 1735.
Davie Wm. beer seller
Goss John, smith and beer seller
Harding Rev. John, M.A. Rectory
Richards Richard, parish clerk
Shapland John & Jas. vety. surgeons
(* at Northleigh.)
Bell Wm. || *Carter James
Bidder Robert, Yeotown
*Davie John, (and tax collector)
*Fisher John || Frayne Thomas
Ireland Philip || Lee John
*Yeo Mary || Watts John, Dean
POST from Barnstaple.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999