"HALBERTON is a large village, 3 miles E. of Tiverton, near the Grand Western Canal, and 1½ mile W. of the junction of the Tiverton branch with the Bristol and Exeter Railway. Its parish contains 1739 inhabitants, and about 7600 acres of land, including the hamlets of Brethem-Bottom, Seckerleigh, Muxbeare, Ash, and many scattered houses. Earl Powlett is lord of the manor of Halberton-Dean or Lower Town, which he holds on lease under the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The manor of Halberton Boys, formerly held by the Boys and other families, was purchased in 1808, by Richard Hall Clarke, Esq., of Bridwell House . . . The manor of Morston belongs to the countess of Egremont. Mount Stephen is the seat of George Wood, Esq., and Halberton Court is the residence of Thomas Webber, Esq. The other principal owners of land in this large parish are the Rev. J. Pitman, Capt Adney, W. Nation, Esq., G. Pearce, Esq., Rev. J. Spurway, and Capt. Cphr. Laroche. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is a handsome structure, of the 14th century, with a tower and five bells. . . . Here is an old Wesleyan Chapel, and a Farmer's Club. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Halberton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of the Exeter. Though Muxbere is in this parish, its inhabitants tended to use and be registered in Willand Church. Chief Loman is a detached part of this parish.