Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Halwell 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HALWELL

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

HALWELL, or Holwell, a small village 6 miles S. by W of Totnes and 7 miles W. by N. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 445 souls and 3666A. 2R. 28p. of land including Washburn Hamlet (38 souls,) and a number of scattered farmhouses. The soil is various, andon the higher grounds are vestiges of two entrenchments. The manor was anciently held by the Halghwiks, and afterwards by the Vernies and the Hales, but was dismembered many years ago.The parish is now mostly freehold, and belongs to J. Cornish,.Esq., S. Savory, Esq., Mrs. Bastard, Hele's Charity, N. Moysey, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church {St. Leonard,} is an ancient structure,in the perpendicular style, with a fine lofty tower and six bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the Vicarage of Harberton, but it has recently been endowed by the present vicar, as a separate curacy, in his patronage and is now held by the Rev. Henry Hare, who a new handsome residence. The Tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £235 and the Vicarial for £132.10s. The former belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, but are held on lease by R. Hellyar, Esq. Here is a National School, built in 1839; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1831. Five houses and 5½ acres of land have been long vested for the use of the Church and the poor but are let for only about £7 per annum.

Adams , Wm. veterinary surgeon
Baker, John, carpenter.
Cockram, Mr John, Washbourne
Cutmore Thos. shopr. & vict. Globe
Damerell, Wm. tailor
Hallatt, John, vict. Old Inn
Hannaford, Robt & Wm. masons
Hare, Rev Henry, Parsonage
Hingston, Anthony, shoemaker
Hingston, Wm. vict. London Inn
Hingston, Wm & Geo. blacksmiths
Langworthy, Wm. tailor
Luckraft, Joseph, shoemaker
Nicholls, Wm. shopkeeper

FARMERS (* are Owners)
Brown John
Clark Wm
Cockram Parnell, Washbourne
Crossings John
Combes Henry
*Edwards John
Ellis, Wm.
Hewitt Henry, Crockerton
Hill Wm. (miller,) Chiddlesford
Honeywill Aaron (miller,) Ford
*Irish Robt.(& Robt.sen) Polston
*Laskey Thomas, Boreston
Medway George
Oldreive Arthur
*Moysey Nicholas, Stanborough
Peeke Matthew
Scobel Joseph
Snelling Wm.
Smarridge Thos.
Tucker Roger
Williams Roger
Whiteway Edmund, Ritson
Whiteway Thomas, Collaton
Wyatt James, Bickley

Post from Totnes

Brian Randell, 16 Jul 1998