[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"HALWILL, (or Halwell by Holsworthy) a parish in the hundred of Black Torrington, county Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Holsworthy. The village consists of a few farmhouses, and is a meet for Sir H. Seale's hounds. There are stone quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient structure, with a high tower, containing five bells. The Baptists have a chapel and Sunday-school.