A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
HARPFORD, a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Sidmouth, containing 262 inhabit- ants. The living is a vicarage with that of Venn-Ottery annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £18. 11. 3., and in the patronage of Lord Rolle. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, once belonged to the abbey of St. Michael de Monte, and was subsequently given to Sion College, London.