Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Old Place Names

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Transcript

of

Old Place Names

Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. IX, (January 1916 to January 1917), p. 13.

by

R. Pearse Chope

Prepared by Michael Steer

The town of Hartland was in the past known as Harton and was an unreformed borough, finally abolished in 1886. In medieval times there was an important abbey at Hartland, where the shrine of St Nectan was venerated. Hartland Abbey and the parish church are located some two miles away in Stoke. The name "Hartland" presumably derives from the Old English word "heort" for a deer (compare with Swedish "hjort" and Dutch "hert"),The note’s author identifies several places and people linked to the town. The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers

Note 109. OLD PLACE NAMES (VI., par. 66, p. 80). - The two Hartland names are easily identified. Kynemanston is now known "as Kernstone, but is given as Kyrmiston in Oliver's Monasticon, p. 206. Beare is now known as Beara, and is marked in the map accompanying my paper on "The Early History of the Manor of Hartland" (Trans. Devon Assoc., 1902). Thomas de Tetteburi was probably a Hartland man, born at Tetteburi, Tyttesburye, or Titsbury, now called Titchberry, which is also marked in the map. Richard Tetisbery witnessed a deed between Sir John Dinham and the Abbot of Hartland in 1355 (Oliver, p. 205), and Richard Tyttesbury, Canon of Exeter, by his will proved in 1409, made several bequests to Hartland people, besides leaving a sum of money to the store of the Church of Stoke St. Nectan, Hartland (Bp. Stafford's Register, pp. 394-5).

                               R. Pearse Chope.