[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HENNOCK, a parish in the hundred of Teignbridge, county Devon, 2 miles N. of Bovey-Tracey, its post town, 2 N.W. of Chudleigh, and 8 N.W. of Newton Abbott. The parish, which is small, is bounded on the E. by the river Teign, and contains the hamlet of Knighton. Lead and iron mines were formerly worked, also pipe and potter's clay. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £186, and the vicarial for £230. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value with the curacy of Knighton annexed, £158. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing 4 bells. In the interior of the church is a carved oak screen. The register commences from the reign of Henry VIII., and contains the record of the birth of Edward VI. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a chapel-of-ease at Chudleigh Knighton, endowed with £30 per annum, and with pew rents. Here is a school for both sexes, which is supported by the vicar. The Duke of Somerset is lord of the manor."
"KNIGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Hennock, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Chudleigh. It is situated near the river Teign."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003