History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon. (1878-1879). London: Simpkins, Marshall & Co. p. 472-3
This rare and much sought-after book was produced digitally from a copy in the University of Toronto Library collection and can be downloaded from: Google Books with a search by either author or title, and also from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
HENNOCK parish, which includes the hamlets of Knighton, or Chudleigh Knighton, and Warmhill, is in Newton Abbot union and county court district, Teignbridge hundred and petty sessional division, Eastern division of the county, Totnes archdeaconry and Moreton rural deanery. It had 887 inhabitants (447 males; 440 females) in 1871, living in 177 houses, on 3469 acres of land. Hennock village is situated on an eminence overlooking the Teign valley, 3 miles WNW of Chudleigh. Lead, copper, tin and iron ore mines were formerly worked in this parish, but they are now closed. Pipe and potter's clay is found at Knighton. The parish is mostly in the same manors as Bovey Tracey; but the soil is chiefly freehold, belonging to R Pulsford Esq., Sir L. Palk, Lord Exmouth, the Duke of Somerset and others. The CHURCH (St Mary) is a large, ancient edifice in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and tower containing four bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1875 at a cost of £1400, raised by subscription, T. Wills Esq. of Kelly giving £1000. Its ancient Norman font and the holy water stoup in the porch still remain; and there is a very old oak rood screen, one of the most beautiful screens in Devonshire. A window in the south aisle has been filled with stained glass in memory of the late George Wills Esq., of Kelly. The living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16, and now at £570, in the patronage of Mr R. Riley and Miss White, and incumbency of the Rev John Fitzwalter Nagle-Gillman MD, who has a good residence and a glebe of 20 acres. The tithes were commuted in 1838 - the vicarial for £233, and the rectorial for £168. The latter are held by the Corporation of Exeter, as the advowson of a city lectureship. KNIGHTON CHAPEL OF EASE is a neat structure of flint and limestone in the Early English style, and was built by subscription and grants, in 1841-2, at the cost of £900. The church has been endowed with £1000, and the Rev P. Sandilands, of Newton, is the curate. An ancient episcopal chapel, at Knighton, was turned into barn many years ago. The WESLEYANS have a chapel in the parish. The poor have an acre of land given by John Stooke, in 1692, and the interest of £5 left by Elizabeth Gribble in 1726. The School Board was formed on March 13, 1875 and consists of Lt-Col. Vaughton (chairman), Joseph S Bawdon Esq., (vice-chairman), the Rev John F Nagle-Gillman, Mr G Stooke, and Mr R Northcott. Mr W. Whitcombe is the clerk. The Board uses the old parish school, which is about to be enlarged, the tender (£355 10s) of Mr Mardon of Bovey Tracey being accepted.
POST OFFICE at Mr Thomas Northcott's, Knighton. Letters are received at 5.40 from, and are despatched at 7.16 p.m. to Newton Abbot.
POST OFFICE at Mr William Whitcombe's, Hennock. Letters are received at 8 a.m. from, and are despatched at 5.00 p.m. to Bovey Tracey. Bovey Tracey (distant 1¾ mile) is the nearest Money Order Office and Railway Station.
(Marked * are in Knighton)
Bawden, Joseph, farmer, Leigh
*Bray, John, vict. Clay Cutters' Arms
Chichester, Mrs Charlotte, Stokelake
Cox, Joseph, farmer, Crockham
*Davy, Miss Mary Eliz. H. Church hs
*Dawe, John, shopkeeper
*Gibbs, Thomas, baker
Gillman, Rev John Fitzwalter Nagle- MA, vicar
Hellier, Mrs Eliz, farmer, Warmhill
Job, Henry, blacksmith
Lee, John, farmer, Caunter
*Loveys, Frederick, vict. Anchor Inn
Loveys, James, farmer, Fords
Loveys, John Clampit, farmr, Huxbear
Loveys, William, sexton
*Milton, William, farmer
*Northcott, Thos., thatcher and post mastr.
*Parr, Mrs Sarah, lodgings
Pethybridge, William, shopkeeper
Pulsford, Mr R, Pitt house
Sandercock, William, baker and victualler, Palk Arms
Sercombe, John, miller
*Shepherd, Miss Mercy, National schoolmistress
Snell, John, shoemaker
Soper, Mrs Lucy, farmer, Riley
Stoneman, ___, farmer, Lyneham
Stooke, George, farmer, Botter
Toms, Miss, Board schoolmistress
Townsend, John, beerhouse
Vaughton, Lieut-Colonel, Woodhouse
Ware, Robert, farmer, Pitt farm
Warren, Miss Charlotte, Hazlewood hs
Whitcombe, William, grocer, rate collector, assistant oversr., & post mastr.
Windsor, Joseph, farmer, Crockham
*Wreford, Mr Saml. Teign Lawn vla.