A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BICKINGTON (HIGH), a parish in the hundred of NORTH-TAWTON-with-WINKLEY, county of DEVON, 7¼ miles (E. by N.) from Great Torrington, containing 748 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £29. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. Stawell. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A school was endowed with £10 per annum by Gertrude Pyncombe, in 1740.