"A pleasant village on the Eastern activity of the Bray valley, 6 miles NW of South Molton has in its parish 314 souls and 4259 acres of land, including part of Brayford hamlet & a number of scattered farms. Sir P.F. Acland, Bart, is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory valued in KB at £14. 6s. 8d and in 1831 at £300, & now in the incumbency of the Rev Charles Melhuish, who has a neat small residence & nearly 64A of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £360 per annum.The church is an ancient structure in the perpendicular style with a tower & 4 bells. The Rev J.W.Bryan, R Harding Esq. & a few smaller owners have estates in the parish." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shirlwell Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter, which includes part of Brayford, the rest of which is in Charles parish.
Sue Budlong offers lookups of High Bray Land Tax Assessments.
Kain, Roger J.P. Landscape and Farming in the Mid-Nineteenth Century: extracts from the Tithe Files of two Moorland Edge Parishes - Holne (Dartmoor) and High Bray (Exmoor). In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.108-110.
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.