High Bray 1850
HIGH BRAY From William White's Gazetteer & Directory of Devon 1850 Transcribed by John Bishop A pleasant village on the Eastern activity of the Bray valley, 6 miles NW of South Molton has in its parish 314 souls and 4259 acres of land, including part of Brayford hamlet & a number of scattered farms. Sir P.F. Acland, Bart, is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory valued in KB at £14. 6s. 8d and in 1831 at £300, & now in the incumbency of the Rev Charles Melhuish, who has a neat small residence & nearly 64A of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £360 per annum.The church is an ancient structure in the perpendicular style with a tower & 4 bells. The Rev J.W.Bryan, R Harding Esq. & a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. In 1703 Jacob Sloley left 2 annuities namely 36s. for the poor " £3.12s for schooling poor children. The poor also have the interest of £14.00 left by R. Dalling & Henry Moreman. Huxtable, John Blacksmith Huxtable, Richard Wheelwright. Melhuish, Rev. Chas, Rectory FARMERS Burrow, John Channings, Nehs. Parminter, John Pattison, Aaron Radley. George Robins, Thomas. Rook, Philip Rook, John D. Skinner, James Slader, Peter. Squire, James Thorne, J & Rd Thorne, Wm.
Brian Randell, 10 Dec 2008