[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HIGHWEEK, a parish is the hundred of Teignbridge, county Devon, 1 mile N.W. of Newton Bushel, and 14 miles S.W. of Exeter. It is situated near the river Teign and the South Devon railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The Roman Icknield way passed near the village, and crossed the river at Hackneildford. At Milberdown is a treble-ditched camp. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £132 10s., and the vicarial for £245, with a glebe of 9 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Teignton Regis, in the diocese of Exeter."
"NEWTON BUSHELL, a decayed market town in the parish of Highweek, hundred of Teignbridge, county Devon, 5 miles W. by N. of Teignmouth, 6 N. of Torquay, and 16 S. by W. of Exeter. It was given by Henry III. to Robert Bushell, from whom it takes the suffix to its name. It is still governed by its separate officers, appointed annually, although in all other respects it may be considered as part of the twin town of Newton-Abbott."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003