Highweek (and Newton Bushell)
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
HIGHWEEK, a parish in the hundred of TEINGBRIDGE, county of DEVON, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Newton-Abbots, containing 907 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy with the vicarage of Kingsteington, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Stover canal passes through the parish.
NEWTON-BUSHELL, a chapelry (formerly a market-town) in the parish of HIGHWEEK, hundred of TEINGBRIDGE, county of DEVON, 14½ miles (S. S. W.) from Exeter, and 187 (W. S. W.) from London. The population is returned with the parish. This town received its distinguishing appellation from Robert Bussell, or Bushell, the foster-child and kinsman of Theobald de English Ville, made lord of the manor by Henry III., in 1246, and who granted to the inhabitants a charter for a market. This town is separated from Newton-Abbots by the river Lemon. A portreeve and two constables are annually chosen at the court held by the lord of the manor. The chapel is a large edifice, in the ancient style of English architecture, and has received an addition of two hundred and seventy sittings, of which one hundred and seventy are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having contributed £250 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Limestone, with argillaceous slate, and organic remains, are found in the vicinity of the town.