The Eddystone Light-House: A Poem
to which is subjoined an historical account of every remarkable occurrence that has transpired
since the first lighthouse was erected on the Eddystone Rock, 1694
London: Printed for the author by J & H W Bailey (1823), illus. 39 pp.
Transcribed by Michael Steer
The Eddystone Lighthouse is situated on the treacherous Eddystone Rocks, nine miles (14 km) south west of Rame Head. While Rame Head is in Cornwall, the rocks are in Devon. The current structure is the fourth to be built on the site. The first and second were destroyed. The third, also known as Smeaton's Tower, is the best known because of its influence on lighthouse design and its importance in the development of concrete for building. Its upper portions have been re-erected in Plymouth as a monument. This rare book was produced from a digital copy held by the Bodleian Library that can be downloaded from Google Books. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. Those on which copyright has expired are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
|Edwards, Mr||12, 32|
|Hall, Henry||12, 14, 33|
|Lovell, Captain (or Lovett)||10, 30|
|Rudyerd, Mr John||11, 30|
|Smeaton, Mr||17-20, 23, 32, 34|
|Spry, Doctor||13, 33|
|Tolcher, Alderman||13, 32|
|West, Admiral||13, 32|
|Winstanley, Mr Henry, gent.||4, 6-7, 10, 15, 27-9|