Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Address to the Proprietors of the South Devon Railway 1848

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Name and Place Index

Address to the Proprietors of the South Devon Railway

By the Chairman of the Board of Directors

Plymouth, Roger Lidstone, George Street, London
Effingham Wilson, Royal Exchange, (1848) 59pp.

Original held at Stanford University

Index prepared by Michael Steer

This index was produced from a digital copy of the book, which can be downloaded from: https://books.google.com/ Google, in partnership with a number of public libraries has sought to make more widely accessible, old, hard-to-get books on which copyright has expired. The book provides an insight into the earliest years of the South Devon Railway. It was a 7 feet 0¼ inch broad gauge railway engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The first section of the line to be opened was from Exeter to Teignmouth in 1846. It was extended to Newton Abbot later that year and reached Totnes in 1847. It reached a temporary station at Laira on the outskirts of Plymouth in 1848 and finally the permanent terminus at Plymouth in 1849. The company built its offices outside that station. The line was extended a short distance into the new Plymouth Great Western Docks in 1850 and in 1853 opened a branch to the older Plymouth harbour at Sutton Pool by converting a part of the Plymouth and Dartmoor Railway to broad gauge.
Index of Names Page
   
Boulton & Watts, Messrs. 38
Brunel, Isambard Kingdom     7, 29, 35, 37, 42-46, 53
Buller, Sir Anthony 13, 14
Carr, W. 58
Cole, Mr. 13, 14
Courtenay, Lord 13-15, 27, 46
Ellis, Mr. 16
Evens, W.H. 58
Derry, Mr. 13, 14
Gill, Mr. Thomas 13, 58
Harris, Colonel 13, 14
Lardner, Dr. 30
Lockyer, N. 58
Mallett, Monsieur. 30
Maudeslay, Messrs 38
Pearson, James 53
Rennie, Messrs. 38
Rundle, Mr. 13, 14
Samuda, Mr. Joseph D'A 7-11, 21, 22, 25-27, 38, 40-43, 45-47, 49
Seymour, Lord 13
St. Aubyn, Mr. 13, 14
Stephenson, Mr. Robert 30
Woolcombe, Mr. 7, 10, 12-14, 27, 45
   
   
Index of Places Page
Bridgewater 19, 20
Bristol 7, 10, 13, 14, 27
Buckland Abbey 4
Countess Weir 51, 52
Croydon 38
Dainton 8, 9, 20, 25, 36, 42, 43
Dalkey 30, 41
Dawlish 18, 20, 24, 25, 51, 52, 55, 56
Exeter 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 25, 27, 41-44, 46, 50-52, 55, 56, 58
Gloucester 13
Lara 50
Merthyr 19
Newton 8-10, 20, 25, 36, 41-44, 46, 50-52, 55, 56
Plymouth 5, 8, 9, 43, 59
Star Cross 51, 52
Summer House 20, 51, 52
Teignmouth 11, 20, 51, 52
Torquay 8, 9, 59
Totnes 10, 20, 25, 36, 50
Turf 51, 52
Westminster 37