"HITTISLEIGH is a hilly parish of scattered houses, about 8 miles W.S.W. of Crediton, and 13 miles W. by N. of Exeter. It contains 109 souls, and 1155A. 3R. 11P. of land. C. Calmady, Esq., is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Talbots, Londons, and Shilstons, but the soil is all freehold, and belongs to the Hole, Pedlar, Haydon, Gorwyn, Webber, and other families. The Church (St. Andrew,) has a tower and three bells, and was newly seated in 1839-'40, at the cost of £12O. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £94, is in the gift of C. Calmady, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Holland, M.A., of Spreyton. The glebe is 30A., and the parsonage house is a small building, erected about 12 years ago, on the site of the old one, which was destroyed by fire." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Hittisleigh is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.