[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"HOLCOMBE-BURNELL, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 3¼ miles W. of Exeter, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Moreton Hampstead. The village, which is small, is situated on the main road from Exeter to Moreton Hampstead. It is wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £195, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a modern edifice, with an antique tower containing five bells. The church was rebuilt in 1844, at a cost of £600, by voluntary contributions. There is a school for children of both sexes. Holcombe House, an old residence, built in the reign of Henry VIII., is now converted into a farmhouse. Culver House is the principal residence. James S. Pitman, Esq., is lord of the manor."