A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
HOLCOMBE-BURNELL, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Exeter, containing 237 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £8. 9. 2., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Holcombe Burnell, in the Cathedral Church of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has an ornamented doorway in the Norman style, and contains an altar-tomb, used before the Reformation to celebrate the festival of Easter. Near the old manorial mansion, built in the reign of Henry VIII, and since converted into a farm-house, there was anciently a chapel.