[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"HOLCOMBE-ROGUS, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Wellington, its post town, 6 N.E. of Bampton, and 82 N.E. of Tiverton. It was formerly a market town, but is now only a small village, situated near the Great Western railway, and a branch of the Grand Western canal, which pass through the parish. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £320, and the vicarial for £204. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £195. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower containing five bells. In the interior of the church are several monuments, some to the family of Bluett, of Holcombe Court. Here is a school for children of both sexes, and the parish has the privilege of sending one boy to Uffculme free grammar school. Holcombe Court is the principal residence. Peter Frederick Bluett, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."