"HOLNE, a small village, on an eminence, on the south-western side of the Dart valley, 3½ miles W. of Ashburton, has in its parish 394 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, but only about 2300 acres are cultivated, and the rest consists of about 500 acres of wood, and 2200 acres of moorland, in Holne Chase, which extends about two miles into Dartmoor Forest, amidst some of the most magnificent scenery in Devon, where the Dart is seen foaming over its rocky bed, between steep and shelving banks, and lofty wooded hills. Sir B.P. Wrey, Bart., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Audleys and Bourchiers, and has a hunting seat here, called Holne Chase House, in a singularly romantic situation. He owns most of the parish, which includes the hamlets of Michelcoombe and Stoke, and a number of scattered farms; and the Hunting Boxes called Holne Park and Holne Cottage. George Jarvis, Thos. Hamlyn, George Stranger, and a few others, have small freeholds here. The Church was built in the 13th century, and has an embattled tower and five bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.