North Devon Journal, March 2011
Published here by kind permission of the Editor
On Saturday afternoon, 5 March 2011, more than 100 members and guests, some from as far away as London, Nottingham and Sweden, assembled in Conciliation Masonic Lodge to celebrate the centenary of their foundation in February 1911. In 1910 a meeting had been held to discuss the formation of a Masonic Lodge in Holsworthy. At that time there were about 30 members in the area who found it difficult to attend their lodges at Plymouth, Okehampton, Launceston and Stratton. Approval was granted and a warrant issued by the United Grand Lodge of England on December 6. The name 'Conciliation' was chosen as a means of conciliating friendship among those of different denominations. The Consecration Ceremony was held at the National School on February 14, 1911, presided over by Provincial Grand Master of Devonshire, Right Worshipful Brother Major GC Davie and in the presence of nine founder members. Reverend EA Donaldson was then installed as first Worshipful Master of Conciliation Lodge. This was followed by a banquet at the White Hart Hotel. The first meeting was held at the old tithe barn behind the Manor Offices. Soon it was decided to find a suitable site to build a permanent Masonic Lodge in Holsworthy. One was chosen at Cawsend in Bodmin Street and building commenced. Despite work being suspended for a time in April 1912, caused by a coal strike, it was completed and dedicated on September 9, 1912.