Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
HONEYCHURCH. St. Mary. The church [plate 126a] consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and west tower with three bells. The east window has a wooden frame and is not of ecclesiastical design. On the south side of the chancel is a narrow window with very deep splay. The communion rails are of the baluster type and there are the remains of a dwarf chancel screen in the same style. There are two windows on the south side of the nave, one of three lights and one of two; on the north side there is one window of three lights containing small remains of ancient glass.
In the north wall near the chancel arch is a small walled up window, or image niche, and suspended above are the arms of George III [r. 1760-1820]. There are some very old benches [plate 126b] some with carved ends but not of elaborate design.
The font [plate 126c] is of Norman date, a square top, rounded at one corner, and shaft resting on plinth; on the north side of the shaft is carved zigzag, on the east and south sides cable moulding.
The roof of the chancel is plain plaster, that of the nave has carved bosses, ribs and wall plates.
On the north wall is an old painting partly cleared from limewash, it has an inscription of which the following words can be read:- "Elizabeth Regina . . . . God save the church, our Queen and nation."
In the churchyard is a small portion of what was probably the old cross. The entrance to the churchyard is by an iron gate erected in memory of the Jubilee 1887-1889.
The registers date: baptisms, 1728; marriages, 1757; burials, 1730.