"HORWOOD, a small village and parish, 3 miles E.N.E. of Bideford, has only 118 souls, and about 750 acres of land, nearly all belonging to the Rev. John Hogg, and Earl Fortescue. The Rev. J. Dene owns the estates called Church and Pen Horwood, and is patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £157. The tithes were commuted in 1848, for £127 per annum, and the glebe is 36 acres. The Church (St. Michael,) has a tower and three bells, and contains memorials of the Denes, Rolles, and Pollards. The Rev. John Dene, M.A. has a pleasant seat, called Horwood House, and the other principal residents are - Thomas Copp, Joshua Downing, and Wm. Jenn, farmers, and Edw. Lee, blacksmith." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.