A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
HUNTSHAW, a parish in the hundred of FREMINGTON, county of DEVON, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Great Torrington, containing 291 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11.7.1. The Earl of Orford was patron in 1787. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. John Lovering, in 1671, bequeathed £200 to purchase lands, a moiety of the proceeds of which, viz., £16, is applied in teaching sixteen children. Huntshaw has also the right of sending two poor boys to the school at Wear-Gifford.