Hide
hide
Hide

HUXHAM

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

HUXHAM, a small parish, on the banks of the River Culm, 3½ miles N.N.E. of Exeter, has only 150 inhabitants, and 830 acres of land most]y the property of Lord Poltimore, the lord of the manor, which was ancient]y held by the Huxham family, whose heiress carried it in marriage to an ancestor of its present owner, in the reign of Edward III. The Church is a small ancient structure, and the living is a rectory, annexed to that of Poltimore, in the incumbency ol the Hon. and Rev. John Fortescue, M.A. The parsonage is a neat building occupied by the Rev. Thos. Bremridge Meluish, the curate. The other principal parishioners are Richard Matthews, paper maker, Upper Mill; Charles Matthews and Richard Martyn, paper makers, Lower Mill, Edward Cyrl, parish clerk; and John Norris and Robert Rew, farmers.

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998