[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"IDE, a parish in the hundred of Exminster, county Devon, 2 miles S.W. of Exeter, its post town and railway station, and 1½ mile W. of Alphington. It is situated in a valley on the river Alphin. There are several extensive farms. The soil is clay and sand, and subsoil red sandstone. The land is very fertile, about two-thirds being arable, the remainder pasture and orchard. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value £155, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Ida, has a tower containing four bells. It was rebuilt in 1834, at a cost of £1,300. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are lords of the manor. There is a school for both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions."