[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ILSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Teignbridge, county Devon, 7 miles N.W. of Newton Abbott, its post town, and 5 N. of Ashburton. The parish is small and chiefly agricultural. Here are copper, tin, lead, and iron mines, also extensive granite quarries at Haytor. The soil is various abounding with pipe and potters' clay. The Stover railway passes through the N.E. part of the parish. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £340, and the vicarial for £300. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £313, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce £98 per annum, of which £21 goes to Ford's school, besides other small bequests. The Duke of Somerset is lord of the manor."