A Handbook for Travellers in Devonshire (9th ed.),
London, J. Murray. (1879)
3½ m. Instow Quay Stat., a small but rising watering-place (Pop. 647), situated at the junction of the Taw and the Torridge. It has a view of the sea, of Lundy Island, the Barnstaple Bar, the sands of Braunton Burrows, Northam Tower, commonly called Chanter's Folly, as built by a person of that name, and of the busy fishing village of Appledore. (There is a ferry from Instow to Appledore, whence the walk across Northam Burrows to Westward Ho (about 2½ m., see post) is not unpleasant. From Westward Ho you may reach Bideford by omnibus, and thence return by rail to Instow). Good boating and sea fishing are to be had from Instow. A pleasant road leads from Instow Quay along the shore of the river, passing Tapeley Park (W.L. Christie, esq.); notice obelisk in front of the house, in memory of Cornet Clevland, 17th Lancers, killed at Inkermann).
Transcribed - Brian Randell, 18 Jul 1999